This course will be for anyone who has to deal with a difficult individual in their life. It takes participants through a four stage process designed to help them deal effectively with the interpersonal tensions in their workplace. Emphasis is placed on the use of words that work so the participant can focus on getting their work done, on cultivating healthy relationships, and on reducing or eliminating the related stress from their lives.
Participant will be able to:
- understand the motivations of a difficult person (see Mood Modes)
- understand how communications with difficult people can end in open or “egg-shell” conflicts
- focus on their own feelings and stay calm in the presence of a difficult person
- focus on the difficult person by actively listening while under pressure
- keep communication future focussed to help lesson tensions
- keep communication focussed on events and ideas rather than people
- maintain a high level of interpersonal respect between themselves and the difficult person
- manage conflicts
This course uses adult learning techniques to take participants through a unique series of scenerios designed to highlight and practice strategies. They will also be invited to participate in a series of discussions and engage in small group work exercises designed to explore and practice the topics covered.